Will Drafting

Executries / Winding Up Of Estates

What do I have to do when a relative dies?

The law of succession in Scotland says what happens to someone’s property when they die. 

Your responsibilities in dealing with the property and possessions of a loved one (their estate) will depend on whether or not there is a Will and on the value of their estate. 

You should phone our offices to arrange to speak to our experienced estates solicitors, John Stirling, Paul Gostelow or Gillian Baker to obtain independent legal advice before doing anything.

For a basic guide on what can be involved in dealing with the estate of a loved one you can read more information at the links below.  This rough guide is not intended as complete legal advice.



Please do not hesitate to telephone to speak to us on 01698 820700 or 01698 307170 for more detailed advice at this difficult time

What to do next...

To speak with one of our Solicitors call us on 01698 307170 or email us. 

Talk to us.

"My husband dealt with all the finances so when he died I really didn’t know what to do. I needed everything sorted out. I needed someone I could trust. I felt a weight off my shoulders after my first appointment with Gillian."
R. McDonald,

Experience you can afford to trust.

Call us on 01698 820 700 or click the button below. BG Family Law has your best interests at heart. Let’s talk.